Esperamos todo el año para tener un detalle con mamá, ella siempre tan atenta nos cocina, nos llama para saber si comimos o simplemente nos guarda comida para que nos la llevemos y así nosotros no tenemos que cocinar (si no vivimos con ella). Llego el momento en que nosotros le cocinemos a ella, y no solo el día de las madres si no de vez en cuando. Creo que una vez al mes se puede sacar un día y darle la atención que merece la reina de nuestras vidas.
Por eso aquí les dejo varias recetas para sorprenderla con un plato diferente y delicioso.
Deep Dish Bacon and Leek Quiche
1 recipe Basic Pie Dough
6 slices bacon, sliced
2 large leeks (white and light green parts), sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
6 large eggs
2 c. heavy cream
1 c. whole milk
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
6 oz. Gruyère, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 c. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
TOTAL TIME: 2:20
- Roll chilled dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper into a 16-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch springform pan, lifting and pressing it into the bottom and up the sides of the pan; chill 1 hour. Poke bottom and sides of dough with a fork. Line with nonstick foil, leaving a 4-inch overhang.Fill with baking beans or pie weights; chill 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Bake crust 15 minutes. Remove foil and pie weights. Cover edges with foil, and continue baking until completely dry, 8 to 12 minutes. Reduce oven to 325°F.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 7 to 8 minutes; transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of drippings. Add leeks and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 6 to 7 minutes. Add thyme and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; cool.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, milk, mustard, nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a bowl. Fold in the Gruyère, parsley, and cooked leeks.
- Scatter bacon on bottom of the crust, then top with egg mixture. Wrap pan with foil and place on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake just until set around the edge but still wobbly in the center, and a knife inserted into the center comes out with no runny eggs attached, 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes. Cool in the pan at least 30 minutes before unmolding.
Cuando una fritata tropieza con un waffle se convierte en Frittafle.
- YIELD:6 (3.5-inch rounds) (4 Servings)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large red bell pepper (7oz), diced
- 2 cups roasted potatoes (homemade or store bought), cubed
- 2 cups argula
- 8 pieces bacon, broken into 1-2 inch pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 large eggs, whisked and combined
- 1/2 cup parmesan romano
- 1 cup mozzarella (or any cheese you prefer
- Add canola oil into a 9 in. non-stick, oven proof pan and heat over medium-high heat. Stir in red peppers and cook until soft. Add in potatoes and stir until warmed through. Add-in arugula and bacon and stir to combine with the other ingredients.
- In a bowl combine whisk together salt, pepper, parmesan romano, and eggs. Pour mixture into a pan and evenly distribute it throughout. Stir in 3/4 cups of mozzarella and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup on top. Cook over medium-high heat for another 1-2 minutes or just until a slight crust forms around the edge. Transfer pan to oven and bake at 375 degrees F for about 8- 10 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and slide out of the pan to cool on a wire rack. Transfer to refrigerator and let chill for at least two hours. Remove from refrigerator and using around 2.5-inch ring and stamp out rounds
- Heat waffle iron and cover with canola oil. Place around in the center and heat until warmed through.
- **NOTES** (1) Make sure you use a high-quality non-stick pan that is also oven proof. If your non-stick pan is not so “non-stick” lightly cover the pan with a non-stick spray like PAM, making sure to cover the side walls. (2) Of course, you don’t have to waffle this. It’s delicious and great as a stand-alone frittata.
Hot Chocolate French Toast
- 1 cup canned coconut milk or whole milk
- 2-4 tablespoons of your favorite hot cocoa mix
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 slices thick cut challah bread or whatever your favorite french toast bread is! I prefer Brioche.
HOT COCOA GANACHE
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk may sub heavy cream
- 9 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- whipped cream, marshmallows, and coconut